An summer internship can be a good addition to your resume. It can also be a chance to see whether you might like working in a certain field--for example, as an actuary.
One of the best resources for finding internships is the Career Center. (Enter "internships" into their search tool.) The Career Center will also have information about campus visits by companies who are recruiting to find interns or employees.
Other places to check
- Internships and Coop Opportunities for Undergraduates (from the American Mathematical Society
- Internships in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Internships in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science allow you to get a realistic feel for the field in which you're interested.
- Semester Internships for Science, Math Students with Dept. of Energy
- Student Opportunities at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Student Opportunities at the National Institute of Standards (NIST)
- Summer Internships at the Federal Reserve Board
- Summer Opportunities at the National Security Agency (NSA)
- Information about Director's Summer Program at NSA Note that this program usually has an application deadline in October because of the need for security clearances
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program
- Summer Internships at AT&T Labs
- Summer Undergraduate Program at Lincoln Lab (MIT)
- Center For Talented Youth (Johns Hopkins) This summer program for talented youth also hires students as TA's. Some of our undergraduate majors have participated. Interested in teaching? Check it out! (See link there to "Employment Opportunities")
- Finding Summer Internships, SEO (Sponsors for Educational Opportunity) The SEO Career Program recruits, selects and trains outstanding college students of color for summer internships that lead to full-time jobs with investment banks, corporate law firms and other leading global companies. Historically, more than 80% of interns receive full-time job offers from SEO corporate partners. In 2008, SEO will offer more than 430 internships with nearly 50 corporate and philanthropic partners. What begins as a 10-week summer internship turns into a lifelong networking opportunity and a resource base for SEO alumni through every step of their professional growth.
- Internships at SIG (Susquehanna International Group)
- A Directory of Life Insurance Company Websites A good list to browse to see what summer/career opportunities they have to offer. Each of the following examples was found using this list:
Make liberal use of Google searches to find many more possibilities